Monday, May 17

Home Sweet Home... (but the traffic still sucks!)

My boyfriend Mike and I left the conference at 11:30 yesterday morning, hoping to beat some of the traffic.  The drive through PA wasn't so bad, but once we hit NJ it slowed down a bit.  Then it was bumper to bumper on the NJ turnpike trying to get on the GW bridge.  So we took some kind of detour (gotta love GPS!) that moved a little faster, though not much.  After the GW the traffic cleared for a bit, until we got closer to the Throgs Neck.  Another nightmare.  Once we got off that, traffic finally started to move - even the Cross Island Pkwy which never moves was doing okay.  Still, we didn't get back until 5:30, and we only made one quick stop on the way (at Sonic, YUM!).  A trip that took 3.5 or so hours on Friday morning took almost 6 on Sunday.  What a mess!

That whole paragraph was either extremely boring or confusing or both to my readers who are unfamiliar with NY (and if you are, consider yourself lucky) so I apologize.  Back to the conference... I took two workshops in the morning, one about "hooking" your readers and one about relationships which was pretty much for romance writers.  Then I took two more after lunch, elements of romance and a social media class with THE Janet Reid.  It was packed, as I knew it would be because everyone thinks she is funny and super smart, which of course she is lol!

Saturday night was uneventful and I was completely exhausted (learning really wears you out!).  Sunday morning I had two more workshops before we left - showing vs. telling, and one on revising.  They were both informative and both instructors were very nice.  I didn't stay for the closing ceremony because, as I said earlier, Mike and I thought we'd beat the traffic if we left before noon.  Overall, I had a very good time and I'm glad I went.  I learned a lot and met a few nice people.  My next conference is going to be RWA in July!  Is anyone else going???

3 comments:

J.M. Kelley said...

It was a really great first conference for me. I was a little overwhelmed, so I lurked mostly, but I took away a lot of good pointers from the workshops. Janet Reid was a hoot, I'm sad that she doesn't rep my genre. I was at the Query Clinic to observe how the agents react to the solicitations. Janet stood up mid-query as one was being read and asked for the author's card. Lucky gal!

I entered the PW fiction contest and tied for first at the closing ceremonies. Shocked the heck out of me, and I beat a hasty retreat because I was vibrating into another dimension, lol.

I'd love to go to the RWA conference, but it all hinges on whether or not my plea for scholarship goes through. Price is way out of my unemployed writer range, otherwise. *crosses fingers*

Vicki Rocho said...

Sounds like a great time! I'm going to have to look into some close to home.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Janet Reid...That is so cool! I'll bet she was amusing....LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed the conference. I'm starting to search for one to go to this fall...

Have a great weekend!