Here I go again. Another night that I had planned to spend working on my (still stalled) manuscript, and instead I have wasted the majority using the internet. While the internet is fabulous because it connects you to people you might otherwise never meet, and you can find almost any information you're looking for by simply "googling" it, it's also a major time suck. Some people have will-power and can shut their computer off, or simply keep their browser closed so they can concentrate on writing. I have no such power. (More proof that I have no will-power: the last time I tried to diet (3 weeks ago) I lasted 4 days before giving up. I haven't been able to stick with dieting since Oct 09.)
The way I justify the (sometimes excessive) time I spend on the internet is by telling myself that it technically is related to my writing. I'm learning about the craft by reading all these articles and blogs. I'm blogging and tweeting to help built my "platform". I'm doing more writers workshops (which I love but are a major money suck!!!) to help find ways to improve my WIP or expand my writing ability etc. While all these things may be true, all the time I am spending on the internet is time I am not spending writing my story!!!!!
I know I need to buckle down, and I did manage to do a little work on my plot tonight. (I am using Martha Alderson's "Blockbuster Plots" method. Has anyone ever tried it / read the book / seen her website / heard of her or her system?) This whole scene and plot thing has been a struggle for me. Whenever I've started writing stories in the past, I always just wrote. I had a general idea and I would write whatever came into my head and moved the story along. But obviously that way doesn't work, because I have never finished a manuscript! I don't want to keep making the same mistake, so this time I am going to figure out how to plot this story. Period, end of sentence.
I apologize for this rambling post. I had an idea of what to write about when I started this, but then I got lost along the way. Sometimes I really think that I have adult A.D.D. because it is so easy for me to change the subject or go off on a completely unrelated tangent. Another thing I need to work on. I should probably write a list so I don't forget all of it! (On top of possible A.D.D. I also have a horrible memory, which is a problem that I am way too young for!)
Thoughts, advice, opinions? Are you a plotter, or more of a pantser? Do you have a system that works for you? Or do you have some will-power you're willing to share with me? Or do you think I should shut up and go write already? ;-)
2 comments:
I have the same difficulty. I think I'm just so pressured by all the submission stuff I'm a bit overwhelmed and I can't get settled down enough to write. I think I'm going to set aside a specific time each week, maybe 2 hours for now that I devote to working on my book. I need to begin by making a detailed, elaborate outline so writing the book will be easier. That's my first goal. I'm also working on a perfect query letter. It's all so stressful. Sometimes I just want to play mahjong tiles instead.
Oh the internet...it's an addiction, really. It calls to you at the most inopportune times.
When I need to work and NOT be tempted by what lies on the other side of my browser icon, I take my trusty laptop out of the house to where I can't get on the internet.
Post a Comment