Wednesday, June 2

Will my “to do” list actually help me get something done?

In my last post, I said I was going to get my plot outline done by (last) Friday so that I could do some writing over the weekend. Not only did I not get any writing done this weekend, but I didn’t even start my outline.

I could sit here all day and make up excuses about why I didn’t get to write this weekend. I went to too many bbqs, I had to help my boyfriend clean the apartment, I wasn’t feeling well Monday (not hungover, just worn out), etc. But the truth is, I could’ve gotten at least a little writing done this weekend if I had really tried. Instead I wasted too much time on the internet, went to a few bbqs (of my own free will) and started paying more attention to Mike’s favorite new show (“Battlestar Galatica” – not technically new, but new to both of us) than my WIP.

Now it’s Wednesday and I’m back at work. And since Mike is going away with his friends from tomorrow until Sunday night, I spent last night watching tv with him and tonight we’re going to the local fair. I don’t expect to get any writing done tonight but I plan to make up for it this weekend (I hope!).

I am making new goals for the rest of the week/weekend, and these I have no excuse not to keep. I have all of Thursday and Friday nights free, all day Saturday - until I have friends over at 8 pm - and all day Sunday until he gets home sometime after 9 pm. The only thing I have to do in all that time is clean up the apartment and buy some snacks for my get-together Sat night.

So here is my “to do while Mike is away” list:

Complete WIP plot outline
Finish my character worksheets for 2 MCs
Work on my “vision board”
Fill out monthly and five-year goal worksheets
Write at least 5k words in WIP

I want you to hold me accountable for these! I am going to try to check in quick on Fri, Sat and Sun and let you all know how I’m doing and if I’m making progress on my goals. If I’m not, feel free to caps lock at me and tell me to get on it already!

Do you make to do lists or goal sheets for yourself to keep you on track? Do they work? If not, what does work for you?

1 comment:

Vicki Rocho said...

I never used to be a list girl, but now if I want to get it done (or remember something), I HAVE to write it down. It's kinda ridiculous.