Sunday, July 11

Sorry I've been MIA lately

To be honest, I really haven't had much to blog about as of late.  I've made a little progress on my story - not word count wise, but GMC wise.  I realized that my FMC wasn't much of a MC after all.  She was kinda just there, along for the ride but not having much to lose.  So I was able to think up a way for her to have something to lose, and in the end of course she'll have much to gain too.  Unfortunately this means rewriting half of what I've already written.  Meaning I won't be moving past the 30k mark for a while, until everything's changed to make the story make sense. 

The hard part about that is explaining to people when they ask how many words/pages you've written.  It seems that most non-writers judge our progress by numbers.  It's difficult to explain why I have to go back and change things.  Tho for the most part it is my own fault, since I didn't flesh out my premise or plot enough before starting to write.  But it is my first serious attempt at a complete novel, so I knew I was bound to make mistakes (and I will certainly make more in the future too). 

I'm working out the kinks right now with the help of a great workshop I'm taking called "Laws of Motion - Plotting a Compelling Story".  The instructor, Laura Baker, is wonderful.  She takes her time to really read and understand what you send her so she can give you the best possible advice.  And it's a big class, so it's certainly not easy for her!  If you ever get a chance to take a workshop with Laura, DO IT!  I promise it will be one of the best workshops you've ever taken.  (And no, this was not a paid endorsement.  Considering I only have 25 followers, I doubt anyone would pay me to endorse anything LOL!)

That's about it for me.  I have to admit I'm losing my enthusiasm for blogging.  There are many reasons, one of the biggest ones being not having much to say.  We're all going through similar things as writers, we all know the drill.  I don't have anything to tell you that'll make you say "oh sh*t that's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?!?"  So if my blog posting frequency decreases for a while, don't be too surprised.  I'm really starting to think this whole blogging thing (in the sense of "platform building" to get people to buy your books) is overrated.  But I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that a time or two before  ;-)

Until next time...!

No comments: