I just took a great workshop from April Kihlstrom called “Book in a Week” (for more information click here). The point is to give yourself one week where you do as much writing as you possibly can, and hopefully get a big chunk of novel completed in 7 (technically 9 if you count 2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays) days. It’s like nanowrimo divided by 4.3 (weeks in a month).
The first 2 weeks of the workshop is set-up: April gives great lessons on the craft, as well as providing insightful questions to ask yourself when thinking up plot and characters. I really got a lot out of her lessons. Week 3 you’re basically on your own because it’s the writing week. Unfortunately my laptop crapped out on me and I had to send it back to HP to get fixed, so I got very little actual writing done.
But that’s okay, because nanowrimo is almost here! Just a few more weeks ‘till the crazies attempt to write 50,000 words in just 30 days. I must admit I’ve attempted nano in the past and have not yet succeeded. However, each November I gave it a shot, I’d had a full-time job. This year (unless a miracle happens!) I won’t. There will be NO excuse to not find the time to get it done. In fact I’d like to be able to get to 75,000 words in November. (I’d say 100k, but then I’d be pushing it – not that it’s not possible for anyone, it’s just *highly unlikely* for myself personally.)
I’ve never written more than 30,000 (approx) words for one story before. I’ve never been able to finish a manuscript. I certainly can’t become a published author if I don’t write. I believe I have it in me, I just need to start having faith in myself. My problem seems to be that the more I write, the more doubts I start to have. My idea sucks, the characters suck, the plot sucks, etc. I start beating myself up and end up putting the story to the side and starting something new instead. IT NEEDS TO STOP!
So how ‘bout you? How long does it usually take you to finish a manuscript? Are you doing nano this year? Do you have any advice for me on how to finish what I start?
1 comment:
My very first book, Touch Of Fire took 5 weeks. The sequel (because of a million mitigating circumstances) took almost two years.
True Believers took me a year, but only because there was so much research involved.
I think if I'm diligent I can do two books a year. Three if I give up sleeping.
Post a Comment