Sunday, October 3

Hi, my name is Meghan and I’m a writing workshop-aholic

When I found and signed up for my first online writing workshop, it was love at first yahoo group. I’ve already taken a TON of them this year, but for some reason it seems a whole bunch of good ones got scheduled for October. Presently I am taking (or will begin taking tomorrow):

Book in a Week by April Kilhstrom (more about this workshop next entry)
Finding the Book Ho in You
The Purpose Driven Scene
Character Journey workshop (Alicia Rasley)
Plotting for Un-Dummies
Magic, Monsters and Amour
Story, Theme and Vehicle
(Foreshadowing and Other Tricks ended as of today)

On top of that, next week starts the Muse Online Conference (which is free! But it’s way too late to sign up for this year’s if you haven’t yet, sorry to say)!

Usually I try not to take more than 3 (4 max) workshops a month, but as you can see I got a little carried away this month. I was actually lucky enough to WIN my way into the Alicia Rasley workshop from a comment I left on a blog post. The blog was giving away a free entry into the workshop and I doubted I’d win cuz I never win anything, but I did this time so that was way cool.

What about you, readers? Do you love online workshops as much as I do? Do you prefer the workshops you can attend in person? Or maybe you'd rather just read books or articles on writing instead of the whole “workshop” vibe? I’m curious to see if I’m the only one with this crazy addiction ;-)

7 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I love Alicia Rasley. She is so smart!

I don't have much time to attend online workshops anymore, but I did enjoy them.

The one that really helped was a two week live workshop I took once.

My writing changed forever at that point. And I started selling! :)

Tana said...

Can I just say WOW! You really are motivated to learn your craft! You go girl! Me? I took one course over the summer and didn't finish half the homework and plan on taking another course in November. And yes I'll fess up to dropping out of another course halfway. I hate that I did that, but we just weren't meshing. BTW, I love your blog name!! lol!

Meghan S. said...

Maria - yes, Alicia gives great workshops. She always manages to get me to think. What was the 2 week workshop you took about?

T. Anne - Sometimes it's hard to mesh in a workshop. I've had a few where either the subject doesn't interest me as much as I thought it would, or the instructor isn't very interesting. But for the most part I've been lucky w/ ones I've taken, especially on the Savvy Authors site.

I'm glad you like my blog name, it took me a while to come up with something cute lol. Do you have a blog? I didn't see 1 on your profile. If you do have 1, comment me w/ the link and I'll start following you :)

Maria Zannini said...

Meghan, I went to Kansas to change my stars.

http://www2.ku.edu/~sfcenter/SFworkshop.htm

Vicki Rocho said...

I love the IDEA of online workshops, but since I work during the day and then have kidlings to tend to in the evenings, it's hard to find the time I would need.

Meghan S. said...

Vicki - I hear ya. I only signed up for so many b/c I am currently not working. But a few of them are really hands-on (lots of assignments) & even though I'm not working, I'm already falling behind. I might've bit off more than I can chew ;-)

Unknown said...

I've run one but never been in one - it's just not a practical option at the moment. Those workshops do sound lovely!