This awesome (ly bad?) 80s song popped into my head this afternoon after I received a text message from a friend that shall remain nameless (in case she (or any of her friends) reads this LOL). I'd emailed her and asked her to call me (b/c I don't have her work phone number). Instead of calling me, she emailed me back and then followed up with a text message, saying that she was too busy to call me. If you're scratching your head right now, you understand how I felt a few hours ago. In the time it took her to email and text me to tell me she was too busy to talk, she could've called me and answered my one simple question that I needed to ask her.
It's beyond aggravating when you're trying to talk to someone about something, and they ask a question or make a comment that makes it totally obvious that they haven't been listening to a GD thing you were saying (the "friend" I mentioned above is certainly not the only person that I feel doesn't listen to me sometimes!). I swear sometimes I contemplate ripping the hair out of my head. I am not a big talker, so when I do talk, it means the thing I'm talking about is something I deem important enough to formulate words about. I really hate repeating myself.
*takes slow, deep breath*
I often feel this way about this blog, too. That no one's listening. Some of my recent posts have garnered enough comments to make me feel like maybe I do have a few readers. My last post only got one (comment). Was it the topic? Was the topic boring, or unrelatable? Too many links? Did my writing take a sudden nose dive into suckiness? Were my "followers" just too busy to leave me a comment this past week? (Or are they all alien haters? ;-)
Whatever the case, it goes back to a few posts I wrote last year wondering if this blogging before you have a book published (or even written in my case) is really a worthwhile way to spend time. I'm not going to rehash the arguement again. Many bloggers and agents have already weighed in on the subject, and so have I. I don't think it's worth it... but for some reason I continue doing it. Strange, huh?
This weekend I'm going to spend some time thinking about ways to make my blog more interesting, to readers and to myself as well. Because I don't think blogging should feel like a chore, and right now that's sorta how it feels to me. Maybe it's partly b/c I'm in a rut right now, with writing and with life. Maybe starting school next week will snap me out of it. (I can't wait for spring to come to snap me out of it cuz that's way too far away!) If anyone has some suggestions on how to make my blog more exciting, feel free to share with me. If there are any topics you'd like to see me write about, I can certainly do that.
For now, though, I'll leave you with the wacky video for the song that inspired this wacky (and sorta whiny - sorry about that) post...
Do you hear me?
Do you care?
Do you hear me?
Do you care?
What are words for
When noone listens anymore
What are words for
When noone listens what are words for
When noone listens
There’s no use talking at all
5 comments:
Ah, I do not miss the eighties at all. What were they thinking? This post from Rachel Gardner's blog might help with your blogging troubles. http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/search/label/Blogging%20Tips. You'll get it, just stay positive for crying out loud!
I totally answered the last post before I read this one. I swear!
The start of your post, about the friend emailing when you wanted her to call, made me think of Small Soldiers. There is a scene where the character is talking to person on the phone and asks for a machine instead. Personally, I still like actually talking to people. Weird, I know.
On blogging, making it fun for yourself is very important. That comes through to readers, I think.
I was talking to some authors last week about blogging, one a debut author. They really seem to think blogging helps create buzz for your books, but man, sometimes I think it could be a second job. One I love way better than my day job, but still a time eater.
((hugs))
TC - really? I loved the 80s! The music is great, I could sit around listening to 80s jams all day long (no sarcasm here, I am serious lol). Thanks for the blog recommendation, I will def check it out.
Charlie - I never saw that movie, but I gotta say most of the time I'd rather talk to a computer too lol.
I guess I can see how blogging can generate a buzz, but there are so many other ways to generate a buzz as well, that aren't so time consuming. It really depends on who your audience for your book is I think.
Write about things you enjoy. Eventually, it will bring people who enjoy those things too.
If you love reading, talk about what you've read. If you love writing, talk about something that happened to you the last time you sat down to write.
Give people a chance to commiserate with you.
Maria - you're right. I've just read so much crap about how writers need to blog to create a platform yadda yadda yadda. Whatever happened to blogging b/c you WANT to, not b/c someone says you should?
Post a Comment