While facebook stalking my ex-friend earlier, I learned (from her latest status update of course) that she's begun mailing out query letters to agents. I, on the other hand, have barely 10k words of my first draft written. And no, it's not all about her. And yes, I know no good can come of comparing what she has done / can do to what I have done / can do. Her story might blow chunks and get rejected 200 times. Or it might get published in six months and land on the NY Times best seller list. Either way, it won't have any effect what happens with my story. It wont make the chances of me finishing and publishing my novel any better or worse. But still, it's a little depressing that she's so far ahead of me (and yes, I know it's not a race).
I was talking to a girl at my job today and telling her about how I've been writing lately. She asked me how much I'd done so far and I told her I'd written 10,000 words. Her response was "Only 10,000?" Seriously?!?!? I have a job, a boyfriend, a dog and occasionally even a life!!!!! I don't think she comprehends how hard 10,000 words is to write! Not to mention she's younger than me and she has a lot more energy! She can handle working all day & then taking night classes 5 days a week. I would not be able to do that. I would absolutely love to have more energy, because 99% of the time I am tired. Sometimes just a teeny bit tired, sometimes completely exhausted (even in the middle of the day). But I struggle with it 24/7/365 (and yes, I've had a lot of medical tests done and no, the doctors can't seem to figure out a reason for it) which makes it even harder for me to write as much as I'd like to.
On that note, I am off to drive my boyfriend to the bar. I could hang out there with him, but unfortunately I'm too tired and I'd rather go to bed early (it's 9:20 on a Friday night). Until next time...
~Meghan
No comments:
Post a Comment