I was talking to my boyfriend earlier about something that happened at his job that bothered him. He said to me "I guess it's time for plan B" and I agreed. It made me realize that it's time for plan B for me as well. Or, more appropriately, time to make plan B my plan A. Because my current plan A - stay at this job that I dread going to every day with a boss I can't stand - is just not working out. For too long I've stayed at jobs I can barely tolerate because I haven't been able to figure out what else to do with myself. For a brief period I thought going back to school for psychology might be the "thing" I should do, but after ONE night in class I realized I'd been fooling myself. I've never enjoyed school that much, and I'd have to get a masters degree to get anywhere in the psych field, and I don't even have my bachelors degree (not even CLOSE).
Writing has always had a place (far) in the back of my mind, and I think I finally realize why I've never really pursued it in the past. Because it takes WORK. Lots and lots of work. And, sad to say, I am not a highly motivated person. I see the quick and easy way working for other people and wonder why I can't be as lucky as them. Not just the making decent money part, but the finding some kind of enjoyment in their job part. I go into to work each morning and I only have one goal for the day: make it until 5:00 so I can get out of there and go home.
I don't want to live like this anymore. I don't want to feel stuck doing something I don't find the least bit interesting or important. I am not cut out to be an administrative assistant, and I can't stand being bossed around by holier-than-thou higher ups who can't be bothered making a photocopy for themselves. I've figured out that there is no "easy way" for me (unless I win the lotto, which would be pretty hard to do considering I don't even play). I have to be strong, buckle down and tackle my goal. I have to work for what I want in life. My ex-plan B, my new plan A: write that freaking novel already!
~Meghan
No comments:
Post a Comment