I'm still here, fellow bloggers. I haven't blogged because I haven't had much to say, and because I've been working on (aka thinking about) getting a personal website together. I bought the domain a couple weeks ago (meghanschuessler.com, of course) but that's about the only thing I've done with it. I've been taking a basic HTML class from savvy authors which has been helpful. I need to practice more, though, before I actually put anything out there on the web. I really know nothing about how to build a website or HTML or CSS or any of that! I debated hiring someone to build my site for me but (a) I'm broke & unemployed and (b) I'd like to learn how to do this stuff for myself for future reference and in case I need to change/fix anything, ya know?
I've also been looking into freelance writing, but again looking is the key word. All the sites I've checked out want to read a writing sample, and I've never done freelancing before so I don't have a sample! Most sites say they want to see a how-to article or something like that, they're not really interested in reading your fiction. So I'll have to whip something up eventually, or else start looking for another dreaded desk job (*shudders*). Unemployment helps me pay the bills, but it's not enough to pay more than the minimum on my credit cards and there's certainly none left over after paying bills to put in a savings account!
On the novel writing front, I am officially one of the three members of the Beta (aka online) group of Warrior Writers Bootcamp, run by Kristen Lamb. We've been working on character profiles so far and I've been really challenged to go deeper than I'm used to. Also since I decided to write a sci-fi romance, I get to do an extra profile for my story. I get to do world-building yaaaaaaaaaay! (Please hold your applause LOL). So I bought a book from amazon and rented a few more from the library because the fiction I can handle, but the science part is way over my head. I know almost nothing about planets and space travel and possible alien life forms. I just happen to be a fan of "Roswell" and "V" and "Battlestar Galactica"! ;-)
I guess that's about it for me for now. If anyone has any advice on the website building, please let me know. I'm thinking about using Joomla! but I don't know much about them except what I've read on their site. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of August and a great Labor Day! I'll be back soon, once I've figured out the website thing probably. TTFN! :)
2 comments:
I bought my domain earlier this year but haven't done anything with it at ALL. I took a web development class a few years ago which means I know just enough to REALLY screw things up, but not enough to fix it.
LOL how about a book or something? I got webdesigning for dummies (or something to that effect) from the libarary, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet. I hate feeling like I should know how to do something when I have absolutely no clue about it! =P
Post a Comment