Thursday, January 6

aliens invading our television sets

I'm working on a cool, two-part post about ten movies/tv shows/books (ten total, not ten of each  ;-) that are similiar to the genre I write in (namely sci-fi - or alien to get specific - romance). But in the meantime, I wanted to write a quick post on a few things happening in sci-fi land (on TV) at the moment.

First, check out the comments on this post by Charlie at Smart Girls Love Sci -Fi and Paranormal Romance. Her post is about the return of "V" this past Tuesday night (more about that in a minute). The comments debate the watchability (is that a word, or did I just make that up?) of "V" and a few other sci-fi shows on tv at the moment. "Dr. Who" (I've personally never seen it, but my friend Teresa, another sci-fi geek girl, is a big fan), "The Event" (I like it for the most part, but it does have it's flaws), and what I consider to be one of the best shows on tv right now - "Fringe."

(Yes I know "Fringe" deals with alternate universes, not aliens. But it's an awesome show so I still wanted to give it a plug!!!!) Fringe was recently moved to television's infamous "Friday night death-slot." This caused an uproar among fans, and a lot of viewers wondered if this might be the end of the show. A new sci-fi blog out there, Contact - Infinite Futures, posted about this very subject here. Personally, I think (and hope) this is far from the end of "Fringe." And according to this awesome video from producers, "Fringe" is going to rock Friday nights come Jan 21! Lets cross our fingers! :)

But, back to "V". According to io9, one of my favorite sites for sci-fi news, it's highly illogical that aliens would grapple with humanity. In my humble opinion, how can you say anything is illogical about creatures that don't even exist? If there are aliens out there, who are we to try to figure out what the hell they are like? Many humanity would infect them like the chicken pox or something! On the other hand, according to this article from tv guide, we're going to be seeing more of the Vs green, scaly side. And, possibly even some rodent eating. Ewwwwwww.

One last show mention before I go. Have any of you heard of Falling Skies, a new show to air on TNT this summer? I hadn't until my boyfriend told me he saw a trailer for it when he went to see "True Grit" the other day. It's about a group of people trying to get back on their feet after an alien attack. (Plus it stars Noah Wylie and Moon Bloodgood.) The aliens are still on Earth, and humans are trying to form a Resistance to fight them. It looks like it could be a great show if given the chance. I'm interested to see where it goes.

So,what do you all think of these shows? Are you a fan of any of them? Am I missing a show that simply I must put on my TBW (to be watched) list right away? Let me know!

4 comments:

Saumya said...

I haven't seen these shows but they sound cool!! Thanks for sharing :) I was on the look out for something new to watch.

Charlie said...

Sorry to be a week late on this. Yes, behind in my reading AGAIN.
Well, I am still not sure about V, but still giving it a try. And we definetly had rodent eating last week! Ick, but in a good way.

I love Fringe. 'nough said.

I hadn't heard of Falling Skies, but it sounds like something I would totally be into. I'll have the check it out. Thanks for mentioning!

Meghan S. said...

Saumya - Definitely check them out, especially Fringe!

Charlie - I was so grossed out by the rat thing! I don't mind seeing them green and scaly, but I don't need to see them eating live animals, even rodents.

I can't WAIT for Fringe to return! I really hope Peter & Olivia will work things out, though I know it will take forever cuz it always does in tv land =P

Charlie said...

I could do without the rats thing too. Gross!!

Love seems always to be doomed on tv. But I seriously hope Fringe manages to pull in a Friday night crowd.